Upcoming Bond Issues
April 2022 Bond Question #1 - Restore Historic Memorial Hall
On April 5, 2022, citizens will consider a bond issue to provide funds for the renovation of Memorial Hall. In early 2021, City staff and consultants group, SFS Architecture, completed a review and study of Memorial Hall and its structural integrity. Public meetings were held along with multiple surveys to hear citizens’ ideas and hopes for this historic building. In this process, Joplin citizens indicated that they preferred/supported this 1928 structure to be renovated for continued use by the community, as it had been in the past. Learn more about the Study and the Memorial Hall renovation proposal by visiting the Memorial Hall webpage.
April 2022 Bond Question #2 - Launchpad: Educational and business resources for students, entrepreneurs, start-ups, and new job growth.
The second question on the April 5, 2022 ballot will focus on the Launchpad, the adaptive re-use of the former downtown Joplin library. The Launchpad is a collaborative effort to attract, retain, and train a 21st-century workforce and tomorrow’s innovative entrepreneurs. With voter approval, the City of Joplin, Missouri Southern State University, Joplin Schools, and the Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce would combine resources to address talent retention and workforce development at the Launchpad.
The competition between communities for talent will only sharpen because the pandemic accelerated existing trends: boomer retirements, decreasing labor participation, and lower birth rates. In response, the Launchpad’s objectives are to:
- LAUNCH Careers - Integrate high school and MSSU students into the Joplin business community to demonstrate 21st-century career opportunities are here in Joplin.
- LAUNCH Entrepreneurs - Expand collaboration and leverage resources across our entrepreneurial ecosystem partners to better support innovation and entrepreneurship.
- LAUNCH Culinary Start-ups - Incubate culinary entrepreneurs while providing a safe, large-scale outdoor seating area for food, drinks, and entertainment. Creating a central gathering place for sharing ideas, creating community, and establishing placemaking.
- LAUNCH our Digital Workforce - Accelerate digital economy reskilling of our displaced workforce and prepare our workforce of tomorrow.
- LAUNCH Access to Opportunities - Increase access and diversity to attract minorities, females, and low-income entrants to digital occupations and entrepreneurship.
Paid for by the City of Joplin | Nick Edwards, City Manager | 602 S. Main Street, Joplin, MO 64801