Joplin Parks & Recreation Polices & General Information
Refunds & Cancellations
Programs and Activities:
- Cancellation by the Parks & Recreation Department:
- The Department reserves the right to combine programs/activities as needed or cancel due low enrollment. A full refund will be granted in the event a class/activity is cancelled by the Department.
- At the Request of the Participant:
- For programs/activities already in session, refunds will be prorated and issued in the following situations:
- 1) Written proof of illness or medical problem for the participant or immediate family member prior to or during the program or activity;
- 2) Unusual circumstances which fall into the category of hardship, or other permissible reasons determined at the sole discretion of Joplin Parks and Recreation. You may initiate a refund request to Joplin Parks and Recreation, 3310 W. First St., Joplin, MO 64801, or by calling 417-625-4750.
- Submission of a refund request does not guarantee a refund will be granted. Your receipt or cancelled check, or proof of identification, written proof of illness, and/or other verifiable information, may be required. Processing of refunds may take up to two weeks, but any request will be handled within a reasonable opportunity for Joplin Parks and Recreation or its banking partner(s) to act upon it.
- For Shelter Rentals:
- If a shelter reservation must be cancelled due to inclement weather, a full refund may be issued or credit applied toward another reservation.
Inclement Weather Policy
All facilities are subject to early closings if low attendance (10 patrons or less in a two-hour period), weather warrants, or for a special program. All aquatic centers will close whenever projected high air temperatures for the day are below 70 degrees.
Lightning poses a serious risk of injury at aquatic facilities. When inclement weather occurs, the water will be cleared and staff will remain at the facility and attempt to reopen as soon as possible. If it is not feasible to reopen after thirty minutes, the pool will close and a pass will be issued for one free future admission. This policy is in effect until one hour prior to official closing.
Whenever possible, cancellation decisions will be made by 4:30 pm on the day of the game. Weather can be unpredictable though. If during your game there is severe weather in the area, please proceed with caution. We are more concerned with the safety of our players and guests than completing a game. If a game is cancelled or halted due to weather, all players/parents/fans will be directed to move to their cars or to a shelter.
It is not our policy to cancel games because of excess heat, cold, slight rain, or the forecast of those weather conditions. Parents are encouraged to make individual decisions for their own child when outdoor weather elements become a concern, such as attending a particular game if the game is not officially cancelled.
If you are unsure if a program/game will be running, please call the Joplin Parks & Recreation Department at 417-625-4750. We will also post any closures or cancellations on the Joplin Parks and Recreation Facebook page.
On occasion, the Parks and Recreation staff may take pictures or video of participants in our programs, classes, or events. Please be aware that these pictures are only for the department to use in future catalogs, brochures, pamphlets, or fliers.
Patrons With Disabilities Accessibility
The City of Joplin Parks and Recreation Department, in cooperation with the Handicapped Accessibility Committee, desired to improve recreational programming and park facilities for the handicapped. Comments regarding the accessibility of the City of Joplin Parks and Recreation Department, 3301 West First Street, Joplin, Missouri, by calling (417) 625-4750 or by contacting the chairperson, City of Joplin, Handicapped Accessibility Committee.
As a recipient of federal funds from the U.S. Department of Interior, the Joplin Parks and Recreation Department operated programs subject to the non-discrimination requirements of Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
Under Title VI, the U.S. Department of the Interior strictly prohibits discrimination because of race, color, handicap, or national origin. Any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against in any program, activity, or facility of the Joplin Parks and Recreation Department or desires further information regarding Title VI, should write immediately to:
The Office for Equal Opportunity
U.S. Department of the Interior
Office of the Secretary
Washington, D.C. 20204
In our continuing effort to better serve the public, the Joplin Parks and Recreation Department encourages residents to talk to us about successes and concerns. You can call our administrative office at (417) 625-4750 or email your questions, suggestions, and concerns to us.
One of the best ways we can think of to serve your community is to volunteer time with the City of Joplin Parks and Recreation Department. If you would be interested in exploring the possibilities of joining our Friend of the Parks program, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department staff at (417) 625-4750.
The Joplin Parks and Recreation Department offers scholarship programs for those individuals who need assistance in order to participate in Parks and Recreation programs. For more information please contact the Joplin Parks and Recreation Department by calling (417) 625-4750.