City News

Posted on: April 25, 2017

City offers opportunities for citizens to serve on various Boards and Commissions

Citizens looking for a way to help their community can get involved by serving on various Boards, Commissions and Committees offered through the City.  These groups serve in diverse roles, including assessing needs; review of plans and policies; making recommendations to City departments and providing guidance on projects and programs.

Joplin citizens are eligible to submit applications for these groups throughout the year.  Citizens must be a qualified voter in the City or the state of Missouri.  Some boards may have specific requirements for its members.  Applications are kept on file for two years.  The City Council makes appointments to these organizations annually on an as needed basis.

The City has over 25 organizations in which citizens may serve.  Each Board represents a specific area of City government, and citizens may designate which board(s) they are applying to offer their service. 

Currently, the City Council is seeking applicants to fill the following board openings:

ADA: (Currently has no applicants for new position) To advise the City of Joplin on compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act.

AIRPORT: (2 openings) Acts in advisory capacity regarding operations; makes budget recommendations to the City Council; assists in planning of airport programs.

BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT:  (2 openings) A quasi-judicial board that grants variances from the strict letter of the law as written in the Zoning Code, Subdivision Regulations, Historic Preservation Ordinance, Sign Code, Mobile Home Code, and Flood Plain Management Code; decides appeals to the decisions of the chief building official or city planner.

BUILDING BD. OF APPEALS:  Considers variances to the Building Code pertaining to specific construction practices and conducts “finding of fact” hearings as required under the Dangerous Building Ordinance relating to condemnation of dangerous structures.

CITY TREE BOARD: Promotes and protects the public health, safety, and general welfare by providing for the regulation of the planting, maintenance, and removal of trees, shrubs and other plants within the City of Joplin, Missouri. Manages Joplin’s community forest in a strong, healthy condition for today and the future of Joplin, Missouri.

CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU: Promotes tourism, conventions, and other related activities.

HOUSING AUTHORITY:  Administration of 275 dwelling units owned by the Housing Authority and the provisions of 532 vouchers for rental subsidies to privately owned properties

JOPLIN RE-DEVELOPMENT CORP.: It's goal is to reduce blight and promote economic redevelopment.

JOPLIN SPORTS AUTHORITY: (2 openings) Promotes economic development through recreational sports events.

LIBRARY: Its goals are to appoint a director, control expenditures of library funds, supervise care and custody of library, and determine rules and policies of library.

PARKS & RECREATION: Advisory board for the Parks and Recreation Department, which administers year-round recreational programs and maintains 23 different park and land locations constituting 1,000 acres of public use.

PERSONNEL BOARD: (Currently has no applicants for new position) Advises the council and personnel director on problems concerning personnel administration. Investigates personnel administration and reports annually to the City Council. Approves merit system rules. Hears and determines appeals from action resulting in dismissal, demotion, suspension, or layoff. Performs other duties as assigned by the council

PLANNING AND ZONING: (2 openings)A fact-finding board that recommends to the City Council the approval or denial of zoning requests and plats; the purchase or sale of public land; requests for vacations of streets, alleys or easements; and the development of Comprehensive Development Plans and Capital Improvement Programs.

Traffic: (Currently has no applicants for new position) Makes recommendations to the City Council regarding traffic matters, such as speed limits, placement of traffic signals, parking or removal of parking along city streets, traffic flow on city streets, and placement of stop signs.

A full listing of the boards and commissions is available on the City’s website,  Those interested serving on City Boards and Commissions may apply through the City’s website or by email at For more information, contact the City Clerk’s office at 417-624-0820, ext. 220 or 221.