Reporting Animal Issues

How to File a Complaint

Contact the Joplin City Health Department at 417-623-6122 during business hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday thru Friday. On weekend, from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, call the non-emergency police line at 623-3131. You can also call this number after hours if you have an emergency complaint.

Information Needed

It is best to give complete information. The nature of complaint, the address where animal lives, description of animal, precise location is needed to best respond and investigate a complaint. Anonymous calls are allowed but it is helpful to have the names and address of complaining parties so that we may contact them for more information if needed.

Signing Formal Complaint/Municipal Citation

In some situations, a citizen may need to consider signing a municipal citation in order to address an animal control problem in their neighborhood. This could include situations when the animal control officer does not witness the event being complained about. If this occurs, the citizen would be required to attend municipal court to testify on behalf of their complaint.