Transportation Improvement Program
What is a TIP?
Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
MPOs use a TIP to identify transportation projects and strategies they will pursue over the next four years. These projects reflect the investment priorities detailed in the MTP. TIPs list the immediate program of investments that, once implemented, will go toward achieving the performance targets established by the MPO and documented in the MTP. In short, a TIP is a region's means of allocating its transportation resources among the various capital, management, and operating investment needs of the area, based on a clear set of short-term transportation priorities prepared through a performance-driven process. All projects receiving Federal funding must be in the TIP.
Under Federal law, TIPs must follow these rules:
- Cover at least four years of investment.
- Be updated at least every four years.
- Remain fiscally constrained so that projects are only included if their full funding can reasonably be anticipated.
- In air quality nonattainment and maintenance areas the projects in the first two years of the TIP are limited to those with available or committed funding.
- Conform with the STIP for air quality in nonattainment and maintenance areas.
- Report on anticipated progress in meeting performance targets.
- Include projects for which Federal funds were obligated in the prior year.
- Be approved by the MPO and the governor.
- Be incorporated, directly or by reference and without change, into the STIP.
The JATSO TIP
Amendment 1 - approved by JATSO Policy Board on December 2, 2019.
Amendment 2 - approved by JATSO Policy Board on January 16, 2020.
Amendment 3 - approved by JATSO Policy Board on July 30, 2020.
Amendment 4 - approved by JATSO Policy Board on August 20, 2020.
Administrative Modification 1 - January 29, 2020
Administrative Modification 2 - November 23, 2020
The 2018-2021 TIP was approved by the JATSO Policy Board on October 16, 2017. You can view the 2018-2021 TIP here. There were four administrative modifications and six amendments to the 2018-2021 TIP. You can view them at the links below.
Administrative Modification #1
Administrative Modification #2
Administrative Modification #3
Administrative Modification #4
Administrative Modification #5
The 2016-2019 TIP was approved by the JATSO Policy Board on April 21, 2016. View the TIP here. There were five amendments to the 2016-2019 TIP. You can view them at the links below.